Sega Master System (SMS)
Sega Master System (SMS) is an 8-bit game console, released by Sega in 1986 in the US and 1987 in Europe and Japan.
In June 1986, Sega Master System appeared in the United States and for the first four months has sold about 125 thousand of the consoles at the price of $ 200, while over the same period, Nintendo sold 2 million NES. Nintendo held 90% of the market, whereas the Master System, Atari 7800 and INTV were content with the remaining 10%. In 1988, all that concerned the Master System in the United States, gave the company Tonka, which was to boost sales and popularity of consoles. And this resulted in a complete failure.
In 1990, Sega of America has revoked all rights to Sega Master System from Tonka. The console was thoroughly revised and published as the Sega Master System II, which was just a games console and nothing more. Were removed: built-in Game Card, extra lights, Reset button, expansion port, BIOS (with built-in instructions and a mini-game).
8-bit Zilog Z80A:
VDP (Video Display Processor) similar to the Texas Instruments TMS9918:
It is possible to connect stereo glasses (supported in a few games).
Texas Instruments SN76489:
In the version of Sega Mark IV (released in Japan) features additional audio chip is the Yamaha YM2413, playback 9 channel FM music (only supported in some games).